Roadmap (sort of)
I’m pretty pleased with the front end so far - there are probably one or two bugs that we need to sort out - like being able to close the search box, reset the map to the global map, and make the icons a bit easier to click, but I’m pleased with the interface and I’ve had good feedback.
I also watched someone fill in the registration in a hallway usability test, and spotted the following:
- The company details page asks for the contact name first. This is confusing since the person I watched started filling in the company name. It would make sense to put the company first, then the contact details.
- The company description should probably be renamed because people will try and describe their company (we’ll get bland mission statements and marketing blurb), whereas they should be selling their company office as a great place to visit and work. Just renaming it probably won’t do, we might need some explanation or help.
- We probably need some sort of visual clue as to where you are in the registration process - it’s quite a lengthy one (necessarily) so I’d like people to know what step they’re at and how many are left.
- When it places a marker on the map, it’s too zoomed out - if it gets it wrong it’s not obvious enough. I think it needs to be zoomed right in at first so that if it hasn’t recognised the address it will be immediately obvious and people will look for a way to fix it (which is easy enough by zooming out and dragging the marker).
- In the search results we need to underline the company names to make it clear they are links because the person I was watching didn’t click on them.
I’m pretty clear on the next steps:
- Login and My Account : we need to get registered users logging in and able to update their details. We can’t really expect people to use it properly without this.
- Contact mechanism : just a form at first to contact a company about using their desk PUSH TO GET SOME REAL DESKS LISTEDAt this point, the system will be usable in its most basic form : you can post a desk, and you can find a desk. We’ve had a lot of interest in it so far, so at this point we should get all of those people who’ve expressed an interest involved and ask them to list their desks.
- Ratings : one of the most common concerns expressed by people we’ve spoken to so far is the trustworthiness of the strangers that you invite into your office. Ratings, reviews and testimonials are therefore a massive priority. We’ll have to change the registration process for this too, in order to allow non-desk owners to register without listing a desk.
- Desk information : we need to allow companies to add multiple desks with pictures of those desks, facilities etc.
Is there anything I’ve missed off?